Delegated credentials with netbios aliases

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Tue Jan 8 15:19:57 GMT 2008

To answer my own question (for the archives); having spent two days
tracing and debugging samba I find that the netbios name is not
presented until after credentials and identities have been negotiated
and in fact the problem of delegating credentials to netbios aliases
cannot be solved by Samba.

It has to be solved by the kerberos server, and in fact, can easily be
solved.

The setspn program, part of the windows server 2003 support tools should
be used in this manner:

setspn -A CIFS/alias realname
setspn -A CIFS/alias.domain realname

where realname does not include the domain portion.

After this, it is possibly to delegate credentials when accessing the
server under and alias.

At least the two days wasn't entirely wasted, the knowledge gained while
debugging allowed me to know right off that CIFS was what I needed
before the alias.

Sam