Samba 4 buildsystem; patch in progress

Björn Jacke bj at sernet.de
Mon Jan 7 10:44:36 GMT 2008

On 2008-01-06 at 14:10 +0100 Jelmer Vernooij sent off:
> The problem is that while 99% of the developers may be running GNU
>  make, far less than 99% of the build farm hosts run it. Moving to GNU
>  make would mean losing some of the more exotic build farm hosts.

I have to disagree here. Most of the more exotic build farm hosts do
have gmake installed and I explicitly set MAKE to gmake on most of
the exotic hosts that I maintain gmake because the system's make
failed to work in the past already with S3 and/or S4.

I started to clean up the S3 Makefile in 2006 but that work stalled
immediately after the dependency cleanup was done, which was not
possible to do nicely with pure portable make and not 100% portable
make was not accepted and not checked in. The implicit pattern rule
was the feature required, while this is not even an GNU only
extension, I'd like to have seen that checked in just for a test to
see which hosts really break with that feature being used.

Requiring GNU make would ease the cleaning up of the Makefile really a
lot. I would very much like to see that happen.

Cheers
Björn