PATCH samba cache and read-ahead

Fri Jan 4 12:55:31 GMT 2008

On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 12:43:15PM +0000, Amin Azez wrote:
> I've not looked at the implementation of the rpc over named pipes, but
> if it works with the samba4 IDL stuff I heard about, i.e. it happens
> "for me" and I don't have to pack and unpack arguments any more, but
> merely write IDL function definitions them I'm definitely converted.

Yes, it's exactly that. Your advantage is that you don't
need to marshall anything on your own, and you don't have to
ask anybody for name space. Just invent a named pipe name,
run uuidgen and you're done with your local sandbox. In
theory you could even ride on one of the existing named
pipes, but this might be sub-obtimal.

Your disadvantage is that it has slightly higher processing
costs, and that you don't have the correct tid/fid context
around.

Volker