PATCH samba cache and read-ahead

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Fri Jan 4 12:43:15 GMT 2008

* Volker Lendecke wrote, On 04/01/08 12:04:
> On Fri, Jan 04, 2008 at 11:43:58AM +0000, Amin Azez wrote:
>

>> There's more than read and write going to pop out of it I suspect, and
>> certainly multiple variations of each. I certainly see cache protocol
>> capabilities, and resource limits being exchanged.
>>

> Before you start multiplexing so much over a single trans
> call, you might be much better off adding a dce/rpc
> interface over a named pipe.

I've not looked at the implementation of the rpc over named pipes, but
if it works with the samba4 IDL stuff I heard about, i.e. it happens
"for me" and I don't have to pack and unpack arguments any more, but
merely write IDL function definitions them I'm definitely converted.

Otherwise, it's starting to get like Kings Quest here, and I can only
nest my task-stack so deep before I must do something useful. I've
already got a re-factored patch set that ought to be acceptable as a
start-point, if I just add trans2 instead of stealing SMB op codes, and
I'll hope to post that in the next couple of days.

I think there will be rpc over named pipes for compression dictionary
management, but I can't see a direct need for it yet for authenticated
session based file operations unless the RPC stuff is actually simpler
in the short term.

I'll see if I can work out how the RPC stuff is going on, but I'm not
certain I will be able to see past the mental fog... otherwise I'm going
to make up a TRANS2 code for now and if I'm lucky, swap it for on the
Steve French allocates later on.

Sam