VFS and CIFS Unix Extensions

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Thu Jan 3 16:33:43 GMT 2008

Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 02, 2008 at 11:47:19AM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
>> Quick question:
>>
>> Using the Samba3 VFS layer, how do I determine whether the client has
>> negotiated Unix Extensions so that I can change behavior within the VFS
>> layer (or below)?
>
> Not exposed there. You need to look at global_client_caps I'm afraid
> and the side effects in SMB_SET_CIFS_UNIX_INFO: in smbd/trans2.c

Thanks.  That's what I figured would be the case.  I will look at
smbd/trans2.c and global capabilities.

As long as there is only one set of semantics being supported in the
underlying file system there's no reason to expose this information directly
to the VFS modules.  I think, though, that we may see more attempts in the
future to maintain two sets of semantics so I'll post to the list when I
figure out how this might best work.

Chris -)-----

--
"Implementing CIFS - the Common Internet FileSystem"    ISBN: 013047116X
Samba Team -- http://www.samba.org/    -)-----     Christopher R. Hertel
ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/    -)-----          crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/   -)-----             crh at ubiqx.org