[Samba4] How do I activate/use AD Profiles?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 28 23:22:00 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 12:38 -0500, Richard Hurt wrote:
> I have installed and started playing with Samba4 and am having trouble
> getting my GPO settings recognized.  For instance, I have tried to
> remove all password restrictions from the whole domain by setting all
> security settings to none or '0'.  I edit the "Default Domain Policy"
> and edit Computer->Windows->Security->Account->Password policies to
> the appropriate values.  Then I try to reset a password to 'p' but it
> still tells me that I have not met the requirements, which seem to be
> still set to the AD default.  I even issued a gpupdate.exe /force and
> tried it on a different workstation.  I cant even create a new user
> with a small password.

Correct, Samba4 doesn't honour it's own group policy, just distributes
them to windows clients.  The pwdProperties object in domain object in
LDAP controls it for now.

> I also tried to do other things, like set the title of IE 7, or run a
> program on login, but nothing seems to work.  I get no errors while
> editing the GPO or domain settings and everything seems to be working
> fine.  Its just that the profiles don't get applied at all.  What am I
> doing wrong?  I'm a newbie when it comes to both Samba and AD so its
> likely that I am doing something stupid.  :)

So far I've only used group policies to hide the recycle bin (which
seems to work, after the right logout/login games).  What is the client
in this case?

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.