transitioning release management

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Thu Feb 28 09:12:45 GMT 2008

On Thu, 2008-02-28 at 08:36 +0100, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 04:32:08PM -0500, simo wrote:
> > > The big change is that instead of the user manipulating structure
> > > members in the context structure, the context structure will become
> > > entirely opaque, and setter and getter functions will be used for
> > > changing it.  This allows me to make changes to the internal context
> > > structure, typically for adding new functionality, without affecting
> > > the ABI.  While I'm at it, I'll clean up the use of the different
> > > types of option settings (there are currently three different
> > > mechanisms in use!) and the authentication callback function.
> >
> > This sounds reasonable, but to be honest I'd like to gain something from
> > breaking API/ABI. Breaking API/ABI means distributions may need to carry
> > on a libsmbclient-compat package, so it's better if the difference
> > between the 2 is because of functionality change and not just interface.
>
> Yes, I'd also like to know what we would gain from it. If it
> is just the order of struct members in _SMBCCTX and some
> ugliness for setting options, then I'd say it's not worth
> it. Can you describe in a bit more detail with pointing at
> concrete source file lines what you would like to fix?

It certainly would be a pity to break apps or require -compat packages
on systems, which means that security fixes need to be applied to Samba
3.0 code well into the life of 3.2, because it will still be
distributed.

A second API alongside of course would not suffer this, but would also
not help the original problem, being the presence of an ugly interface.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.