transitioning release management

Wed Feb 27 19:15:00 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 09:05:35AM -0500, Derrell Lipman wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 5:24 AM, Karolin Seeger <ks at sernet.de> wrote:
> >
> >  I would like to do this merge as soon as possible.
> >
> >  Would it make sense to merge maybe today or tomorrow, do some basic
> >  testing (builds, ...) and then release a 3.2.0pre2 next week?
> >
> >  Is there anything I can prepare now (despite of bugzilla ;-)?
>
> The recent changes I made to libsmbclient to add ftruncate
> functionality, the changes that mimir is requesting for some "native"
> capability for use in conjunction with libsmbclient, and my long-term
> desire to be able to migrate the command line tools to using
> libsmbclient all lead me to propose that libsmbclient is in need of
> breaking ABI compatibility and some minor API changes that will affect
> some users.  The current API provides a structure accessible to the
> user which must remain forever unchanged (except by appending to its
> tail), meaning that adding functionality lessens code readability and
> proper organization.  I'd like to modify the interface to make it much
> easier to add functionality without breaking future ABI compatibility
> nor making the code more difficult to read.
>
> There doesn't seem to be a more appropriate time to do this than with
> the jump from 3.0 to 3.2.  The next most appropriate time is likely to
> be a Samba4 release, and libsmbclient for Samba4 is a significant
> undertaking.
>
> I'd like opinions on whether it's reasonable to break ABI
> compatibility and cause some (likely small) number of users to have a
> few code changes due to API changes in order to provide a better code
> base now, during this major version transition.  If the concensus is
> that this is a good time to do this, I'll work on it immediately.

What would your extensible API look like?

Assuming that my proposal for the async client libs is
something that we want (I definitely want this), is there a
sane way we can expose this async functionality to the user?
And, is there a sane way to plug into different event loops?

While there, what are the important event architectures out
there that we need to support? glib? Do they have one? KDE?
libevent? What else is out there?

Volker