QUERY_PATH_INFO what? what? what? what? what? what?

Amin Azez azez at ufomechanic.net
Fri Feb 22 11:22:43 GMT 2008

After double clicking on the shortcut to open the file I get the most
amazing display of seeming client forgetfulness:

7 times the windows XP client will do QUERY_PATH_INFO on the same parent
folder. (Along with 7 sets of WAN latency).

4 times it will do QUERY_PATH_INFO on the file being opened.

That's 8 seconds gone before it even opens the file
I wonder why it keeps repeating the QUERY_PATH_INFO.

Anyone know anything about this?

Attached is a vfs_cifs backend trace of opening a remote file from
clicking a desktop shortcut (which is a nice way to avoid all
explorer.exe's inquisitive calls)

The XP client is 192.168.100.142
The single VFS CIFS proxy is 192.168.100.138
The KDC and share server is 192.168.0.8

the subnets are WAN VPN'd with a latency between the two subnets is 53ms

It's and 19 seconds (at the close response) before the file displayed,
but some of the intervening operations VFS PROXY will do up-front when a
file is opened and cache the result, so thats no problem I hope.

Sam