Visible symlinks under Windows

Wed Feb 6 11:50:14 GMT 2008

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 12:27:07PM +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> as Cygwin developer, it's sort of frustrating that there isn't a way to
> identify symlinks on Samba shares from a Windows user space application
> for what they really are.

Well, why stop at symlinks? If you do those, why not the
whole set of posix inode types like devices, sockets and
other stuff also?

This was the original purpose of the Unix extensions, but
nobody at that point thought about using that stuff from
Windows user space, so we carved our own number space in the
protocol. As hardly anybody uses SMB EAs these days, I would
say this could be a clever trick to pass information from
Windows user space into smbd and vice versa.

Jeremy, what do you think?

Volker