Samba 3.0.32 - internal change notify "legacy" mechanism

Dina Fine dina at exanet.com
Mon Dec 29 14:22:38 GMT 2008

Hi

Attached is a new vfs change notify module. The module handles only the
directory content notifications. Of course it can be expended also to
scan the directory if needed. But since we were not interested in the
internal change notify mechanism, the filters are returned empty
(despite the fact that only some of bits are actually handled).

The module only stats a directory every 10 seconds (configurable via
smb.conf) using the timed events supplied as part of sys_notify_ctx
struct.
The event path is returned with NULL path to trigger general
notification. I needed to fix some paths in the samba which didn't
handle well this NULL path (although the samba change notify
architecture does assumes that the path can be empty for general
notifications).

Also I changed the notify_fsp (notify.c) where the num_changes is > 1000
or name == NULL. I understand the logic there to remove all changes and
to put -1 on changes_num (meaning general notification will be sent).
But after this changes the function just returns? Why? If there are
pending requests why not to send the general notification to the pending
client? So I did fix that. Please tell me I the fix is wrong and I just
misunderstood something.

Thanks
Dina Fine - Exanet - Core Technologies