Samba 3.0.32 - oplock code

Fri Dec 12 13:35:50 GMT 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 11:26:32AM -0800, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > I was thinking on just marking the breaker entry as downgrade one and
> > than sending a notify to all.
> > And checking In open code path if this is a downgraded one, I am testing
> > this change and it seems to work (but I had to touch lot of files)
> > I am giving it a bit more qa time before posting.
>
> That's quite a change. I'm not sure I'd be happy with
> that. I hate new flags/states inside the share mode
> code, we already have too many for people to understand.

That's true, but the alternative would be to hold the lock
for much longer. I don't know I like that idea either.

> > An alternative was to break to the client (or just remove the fake
> > oplock ) under the lock and than send notify to everyone else, this will
> > do the same trick.
>
> This sounds simpler to me, but I need to understand the
> logic completely before I'll say "ok" on that one.
>
> You've obviously been thinking about this for a long time,
> I'll have to context switch all this back into my head before
> I comment fully :-).

Same here.

Itay, could you do at me (and probably others) a favor and
describe that last "simpler" proposal in the context of the
problem again? To me this is tricky stuff, and I want to
make sure I get the right context chain from the mail
thread, I don't want to risk being confused here :-)

Thanks,

Volker