Samba 3.0.32 - internal change notify "legacy" mechanism

Shlomi Yaakobovich Shlomi at exanet.com
Mon Dec 8 16:31:20 GMT 2008

Hi Volker,

Thanks for the answer. I looked at the vfs_notify_fam.c code, it was
quite helpful. If I get your idea correctly, you propose I create a new
VFS module (e.g. vfs_notify), implement only the SMB_VFS_OP_NOTIFY_WATCH
operation (and not all the FAM related code I can find in the original
module). This OP receives all the required data for change notify
mechanism (e.g. path of the directory, fsp as private_data). Create a
local list of watchers. The watch will use the talloc_set_destructor in
a similar way like fam_notify does, to remove the watched entry from the
list.

Additionally, create some local function in this module, and use
event_add_timed to schedule it (over and over, as long as the watch is
required). Set this timer when the watch is created I presume. Then
implement older logic of notify mechanism in this function (i.e. stat of
directory, readdir, etc.). Possibly even take the older code as is to
avoid complications... If found that NOTIFY is required, call the
callback that was provided with the watch request.

Let me know if I got this right.

Thanks,
Shlomi