1c (accounting application) and samba 3.0.24: huge perfs problems

Sat Dec 6 10:05:29 GMT 2008

On Sat, Dec 06, 2008 at 12:25:15PM +0300, Matthieu Patou wrote:
> >Is this an appication accessed by one client ? Oplocks would help
> >here if so (allowing the client to check locks locally and not
> >have to go over the network).
> >
> No it's a multiple client access but not everybody use it and of course
> not every time, but the application must have been designed for using
> oplocks or even if it is not the case this application could take
> advantage of oplocks ?

The application can not ask for oplocks, this is the client
OS'es task. Oplocks are broken though when the second client
opens the file. I've had a customer where the application
(a MS Access based one) was slowed down by more than a
factor of 10 when two people opened it vs only single
access. The customer told me Samba would be slow because on
Windows it was fast. Certainly against Windows they only
tested single user access. Guess what happened when a second
client opened the application when it was stored on
Windows...

if done over a network :-)

Volker