Extending LDB for Extended DNs

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Dec 3 02:38:05 GMT 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-02 at 21:21 -0500, simo wrote:
> On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 11:35 +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> > > I've updated my git branch again.  I'm almost finished - I just need to
> > > figure out why subtree renames are no longer updating the linked
> > > attributes.
> > >
> > > Next steps are to hook this in to metze's DRS translation layer and to
> > > hook into OpenLDAP's 'dereference control'.
> > >
> > > Once this is in and tested, we should be in a good position to make the
> > > long-awaited alpha6 release, which will then, I hope, support Samba3 as
> > > a member server.
> >
> > I've now completed the work - it passes 'make test' (albeit without the
> > LDAP backend).  Is there any objection to me merging the work, as seen
> > in the branch above?
> >
> > (And no, I'm not willing to rebase it - sorry.  It would remove a lot of
> > the context of the changes and make a bisect harder).
>
> A merge would probably be horrible,

Why?  I know it isn't the preferred development method for some
developers, but why would it be horrible?

>  a rebase is highly preferable and
> will allow for a final check on the patchset before we put it in.
>
> If git rebase does not work for you diff+patch is good as well.

I fear both would loose too much of the history of the patch
development.  (For example fixes matched with the torture suite that
proves they are needed).

> Anyway I would not put it in if it is going to break the LDAP backend,
> we should have it working for.
> I have gone through great pain myself to make sure my stuff did work
> with LDAP with the async patches, is there a reason to apply a different
> standard in this case ?

No, there isn't, and you are right to hold me to that standard.  I'm
working on the changes to allow this to work with OpenLDAP's dereference
control right now.

> Finally have you run the ldb speed tests with and without your patches?
> Is there any difference ?

Running the DBSPEED test I found a very small drop (< 1%) probably
incurred because the DN parsing is more complex.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.