[Samba] User's groups issue

Ephi Dror Ephi.Dror at datadomain.com
Wed Aug 27 23:38:43 GMT 2008

OK,

In two places in winbindd_pam.c  winbindd_dual_pam_auth() is called:

1. winbindd_dual_pam_auth
2. winbindd_dual_pam_auth_crap

You are 10000% RIGHT that it does not make sense to do:

netsamlogon_cache_store(name_user, &info3);
                wcache_invalidate_samlogon(find_domain_from_name(name_domain), &info3);

Since of course they cancel each other.

I think we should remove the call to wcache_invalidate_samlogon() in those cases.

Now, the code I suggested does make sense and does the right job of actually deleting the user entry from netsamlogon tdb. Everything in samlogon_cache.c must operate on that tdb file and not on any other one to my opinion. (Just to make the code clean)

But it looks like the regular SAMBA code does not have a need to clear the user's info3 from the netsamlogon cache since it simply update it on new login.

However, for us, we have separate application in which we need to look for user's group membership information and we need it to be accurate for users that have not logged in yet and also even if they logged in before, we don't want them to ever have the info in the tdb be there until they logon again since the info is not up to date.

Similar to id command.

With today's SAMBA code, when you do "id" on a domain's user and that user was logged in in the past and you adding that user to couple of more groups on the domain and you do "id username" again, you will not get the right info until this user logout and login again.

Now, I tested it with existing netsamlogon with a user that already logged in once, then I added that user to few more groups in the domain and it worked well for me since in my application, I go ahead and get up to date groups info from the domain for that user.

I tested it by simply making sure that user that was there before was really deleted (using netsamlogon_cache_have() to verify after delete)

Of course my netsamlogon.tdb was not empty since there are other places that netsamlogon_cache_store() is called from.

To conclude:

1. I think the code I suggest should be the right code in samlogon_cache.c
2. We should remove the call to wcache_invalidate_samlogon()
3. Additional function has to be added to take care of U/sid and UG/sid cleanup.

Thanks,
Ephi