SWAT problem in Samba 3.*

lipson kevin.lisong at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 03:46:39 GMT 2008

Hi all,

     Recently there are still some problems about Samba configuration and
installation. After compiling and installation with commands "make" and
"make install". I crafted the smb startup script in /etc/init.d/. And I
found that I have to export LD_LIBRARY_PATH explicitly in start() function
to make it run. Otherwise, the smbd and nmbd services could not locate their
shared libraries in /usr/local/samba/lib/.

     Another problem is that I'm trying to start up "SWAT" service with
XINETD service using following configuration script;
service swat
{
   disable         = no
   port             = 901
   socket_type  = stream
   protocol       = tcp
   wait             = no
   user             = root
   server          = /usr/local/samba/sbin/swat
   log_on_failure  += USERID
   only_from       = localhost
}

And when I access SWAT service through web browser, I got error message as:
"swat: error while loading shared libraries: libtalloc.so.1: cannot open
shared object file: No such file or directory".

    Anyone could help me on the above problems ?  Thanks a lot !

Best Regards
Lipson