access idmap cache directly from smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 26 21:22:31 GMT 2008

On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 08:26:19PM +0000, simo wrote:
> On the cache timeout:
>
> Also the 1 full week positive caching is probably too much for a
> default, although I agree we should probably change the cache to a few
> hours and not just 15 minutes. Mapping for weeks is almost the same as
> mapping forever.

Yes, I agree.

> The reason for positive mappings with a time limit is that this way
> admins that uses ldap or ad backends can change these mappings and
> expect the change to reflect in the server in a reasonable time.

Ok, what about adding a control message to delete a cache
entry ? How often do these things change ? Do they ever ?
If changing a cache entry is really rare then why not
cache forever and give admins a way to notify. Not trying
to be difficult, just trying to understand the problem
from the customer perspective.

Jeremy.