alternate data stream bug in Samba 3.2.1

Tue Aug 26 06:49:41 GMT 2008

On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 10:53:43PM -0700, lipson wrote:
> Well, I'm trying to generate the log from valgrind. But before that, I was
> really confused by the behaviors of module streams_xattr. Have you guy
> tested the features of alternate data stream support in samba 3.2.1 ?

Well, it does survive *some* tests. But as it is always with
new features, there might be bugs. Apparently you hit one.

> Here is code snip I got from streams_xattr.c
>    DEBUG(10, ("get_ea_value returned %s\n", nt_errstr(status)));
>
>         if (!NT_STATUS_IS_OK(status)
>             && !NT_STATUS_EQUAL(status, NT_STATUS_NOT_FOUND)) {
>                 /*
>                  * The base file is not there. This is an error even if we
> got
>                  * O_CREAT, the higher levels should have created the base
>                  * file for us.
>                  */
>                 DEBUG(10, ("streams_xattr_open: base file %s not around, "
>                            "returning ENOENT\n", base));
>                 errno = ENOENT;
>                 goto fail;
>         }
> Isn't it a little bit self-conflict about the semantic meaning of this snip
> ?

In what sense do you see the conflict? When we're at that
code point, we should always have the base file.

Volker