access idmap cache directly from smbd

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Tue Aug 19 18:38:46 GMT 2008

On Tuesday 19 August 2008 12:45:26 Alexander Bokovoy wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 8:32 PM, Jeremy Allison <jra at samba.org> wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 11:20:12AM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> >> Pretty common I expect.
> >
> > So what's your take on requiring winbindd as a cache
> > manager for a PDC ? It should work on a PDC now, but
> > I'm interested in customer feedback/opinions.
>
> This needs to be documented so clearly that every admin could
> understand. And no, just documenting "you have to run winbind on PDC"
> isn't enough. In this particular case I fear we need step-by-step
> howto. There are a lot of myths of "do not run winbind on PDC" out
> there.

What Alexander says here is right on!  There is a lot of BAD folk-lore about
how evil winbind is.  We need to put this nonsense to bed, and the only way
we can do this is by better documentation.  In fact, we may even want to
consider renaming winbindd to something new to get away from all the negative
perceptions.

Our winbind docs are way out of date.  I started updating some time back but
did not finish.  If someone can provide me with skeleton info I will gladly
update the HOWTO and ByExample docs.

cheers,
John T.