access idmap cache directly from smbd

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Tue Aug 19 16:07:13 GMT 2008

On Tue, Aug 19, 2008 at 05:41:58AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 04:28:32PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > Pseudocode to try and make things clearer...
> >
> > smbd_check_winbindd_cache();
> > if (!in_cache) {
> > 	smbd_check_in_local_memory_cache();
> > }
> > if (!in_cache) {
> > 	ask_winbindd();
> > }
> >
> > do_legacy_mapping_and_store_in_local_memory_cache();
>
> What about the case where winbind does not run, we have
> pdb_ldap as a DC, and we use "hide unreadable"? Every smbd
> has to ask ldap itself. This is what killed the LDAP server
> for me.

Good point. How common is this use case though ?

In this case, can we ask the customer to add winbindd
essentially to use as a cache manager, or is this
too complex for that use case ?

I'm not directly supporting a customer base here,
so I'm genuinely curious as to how popular this
usage is from people with real customers.

Jeremy.