access idmap cache directly from smbd

Mon Aug 18 20:28:55 GMT 2008

On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 01:54:35PM -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Seems I'm late to the party but isn't this just making the
> in memory sid2uid cache that smbd already has use a tdb?
>
> I agree that a read-only direct to tdb mechanism for smbd
> to get idmap information would probably improve performance.
> But if it is not optional as Simo suggested, then we've
> recoupled smbd and winbindd again.
>
> I think for what is needed here, you're idea of a cache
> for pdb_ldap (or probably just the sid/id cache in smbd in
> general) might be the best bet.
>
> Hope these comments may help a little.

As I said: Caching that in pdb_ldap.c does not work, and I
don't really like having multiple caches of the same
information.

Why don't we see the idmap cache as a subsystem *used* by
both winbind and smbd, like tdb for example. It's not that
we store any complex data in there that is about to change
any time soon.

Volker