Another showstopper for 3.2.2.

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Sun Aug 17 20:53:01 GMT 2008

On Sun, Aug 17, 2008 at 11:28:17AM -0400, simo wrote:

> It seem such a waste to have to make 3 memory allocation with mem copies
> going around just to fit an interface that can be easily split.
>
> I'll attach a patch to the thread later.
> If people like it I can commit it, otherwise I will just forget it.

I don't want to change the interface for 3.2.2 - too scary and
possible to get it wrong for all the callers.

If you do change the interface make sure you have
two versions - one that can take an "any" string
containing a "DOMAIN\name" or just "name" (ie.
the one we have) and one that expects the DOMAIN
and name to be split. Make the first one call the
second. But if the DOMAIN portion is NULL or ""
you still have to do the guesswork.

lookup_name is a *complicated* piece of code,
but it's right. I originally thought about
changing it too but when I analysed it I
realized it was already doing the right
thing and I just needed to tell it what
domain to use :-).

Jeremy.