access idmap cache directly from smbd

Sun Aug 17 08:48:36 GMT 2008

On Sat, Aug 16, 2008 at 09:56:05AM -0400, simo wrote:
> I find it very desirable to be able to read the cache directly from
> smbd, but I think you should treat the cache as read-only from it. If

True, that was my first thought as well.

> the mapping is not found you should always go to winbindd (if possible)
> where an idmap backend could have different ideas on mapping than smbd,
> or do some special logging or other actions that would be bypassed if
> you store directly form smbd.

But then we need a tdb-based cache in pdb_ldap.c for the
case I mentioned in my mail. Is that better?

> Also the 1 full week positive caching is probably too much for a
> default, although I agree we should probably change the cache to a few
> hours and not just 15 minutes. Mapping for weeks is almost the same as
> mapping forever.
>
> The reason for positive mappings with a time limit is that this way
> admins that uses ldap or ad backends can change these mappings and
> expect the change to reflect in the server in a reasonable time.

A simple "net cache flush" helps here. And I would consider
changing mappings an operation where the admin has to touch
the server console anyway for the chown/chgrp operations on
existing files.

Volker