[SCM] Samba Shared Repository - branch v3-3-test updated - release-3-2-0pre2-3714-g60718a2

Karolin Seeger ks at sernet.de
Fri Aug 15 09:25:34 GMT 2008

Jeremy,

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 09:57:25AM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> Ok, IMHO we now have too many branches..

The only new branch ist the v3-devel branch. Adding it was already
discussed on samba-technical and nobody expressed any aversions.

Having an ongoing development branch has many advantages in my opinion:

-HEAD points always to the same branch. That makes it easier for users.
-The build farm can always build v3-devel. No changes needed after a new
 release.
-Ohloh do not need to be updated after adding a new branch (that's the
 most important fact, of course! ;-)

> Can you list all active branches and
> their purposes please. We need to deprecate
> some of them.

v3-devel:	New development branch. Push you new stuff here.
v3-3-test:	Things that should be included in Samba 3.3.0.
		Please cherry-pick your patches into this branch.
v3-3-stable:	Current release branch.
		I will pick the patches from v3-3-test automatically
		(after reinsuring).
v3-2-test:	Things that should be included in the next 3.2 version.
		Please cherry-pick your patches into this branch.
v3-2-stable:	Current release branch.
		I will pick the patches from v3-2-test automatically
		(after reinsuring).
v3-0-test:	Current Samba 3.0 development + release branch.
v3-0-stable:	Not used any longer.

The two new v3-3 and the v3-2 branches are needed because of the
lifecycle. It is planned to support 3.2 until 6 month after the release
of 3.3.

The stable branches could be removed, but as I have already explained
several times, I do like this strategy at least in the beginning very much.
And I will automatically pick the patches from the test branch almost
automatically, so the pain should not be too hard for the developers
(except for Volker, Michael and Metze ;-).

Are there any arguments against this branching strategy?

phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9
http://www.SerNet.DE, mailto: Info @ SerNet.DE