http://git.samba.org/?p=vl/samba.git/.git;a=shortlog;h=idmap

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Aug 8 17:26:30 GMT 2008

On Fri, Aug 08, 2008 at 11:22:42AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 04, 2008 at 07:43:09AM -0400, simo wrote:
>
> > If we salvage the "default" option we can still have great flexibility
> > w/o too much pain. Moving to a per range allocator would make things
> > simpler to understand from a configuration POV, although it would
>
> Sorry, but here I disagree. Having multiple allocators is
> bad from my point of view. I don't understand the scenario
> that you want to cover with it.
>
> > It still means it will break post 3.0.25 configurations that started
> > using the new scheme. I guess we should do the change in 3.3 and not
> > 3.2.x so that there are more chances people will check for such major
> > changes on a version change.
>
> Sure. This is 3.3, not 3.2.

Jumping into this...

I've finally had a chance to review Volker's changes
and they do simplfy things a lot for me. I can
understand this code, which does help.

I'd like to propose that they get added into 3.3,
and we can work on the multi-allocator enhancements
and other things we'll need for the Dec release.

That way we can get more testing and experience
with the new code.

Jeremy.