Setting ACLs when creating files from Windows

Corinna Vinschen corinna at vinschen.de
Fri Aug 8 09:14:06 GMT 2008

On Aug  7 22:18, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 07, 2008 at 12:53:56PM -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> > The reason that works on the Windows server is it just stores
> > the arbitrary local SID as owner and group on the remote box.
> > Those numbers won't mean anything to any other box looking at
> > the files (even the box you're storing it on) so you're not
> > really solving anything here other than for the single user
> > on a box case.
>
> Not even that, because you will have denied access to
> yourself: The file server won't ever add your local SID to
> its access token :-)

I already changed Cygwin yesterday so that the workaround for Samba
(always create a file with NULL SD and fix the permissions afterwards
while maintaining owner and primary group) is used on any remote share.

Apparently I had wrapped my head around this problem the wrong way.
Thanks for the clarification.

Corinna