CTDB on cluster filesystem without file locking

Tue Aug 5 14:05:42 GMT 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 06:55:43AM -0700, lazycy wrote:

> Hi, all
>    I'm trying to implement cluster samba on my cluster file system. My
> solution is CTDB+smaba, I noticed on CTDB homepage, there is one sentence in
> the prerequisites part:
>    We have primarily used the GPFS filesystem for our testing but any
> cluster filesystem should work as long as it provides correct file locking.
>    My concern is that my own cluster filesystem has not implement the
> standard flie locking(fcntl) yet. (However, we use another solution to get
> valid behavior when concurrent write operation happened) So, is it still
> possible for me to use CTDB? I'm a newbie of CTDB. Very appreciate if you
> can give me any suggestion!

ctdb uses fcntl locking in the shared file system to make
sure only one ctdb master process is around during recovery
and config changes. If more than one process gets this lock,
it won't work. For normal operation we don't depend on
shared fcntl locks though, many cluster file systems are
MUCH too slow with this.

Volker