Mac extenstion with TRANS2_QFSINFO

Shlomi Yaakobovich Shlomi at exanet.com
Mon Apr 28 16:57:28 GMT 2008

Hi James,

> > For some unclear reason not all Mac clients ask the SMB server for
> > this request, so if someone wants to look into it be
> advised that it
> > is not easily reproducible.
>
> The Apple smbfs client doesn't use this operation. I think
> that it was developed by the Thursby folks. Thisn might
> explain why you only occasionally get reports - only people
> with the Thursby SMB client installed see the problem.

Thanks for this link, indeed the Mac client I saw this happen on had
ADmitMac (by Thursby Software) installed.

This clearly does not work anymore, perhaps their software has changed
or perhaps the Apple smbfs has changed, no idea. Who's in charge of this
code in trans2.c ?  We have figured out this problem with a bit of luck,
I'd hate for others to stumble on the same issue again. I wonder if
Thursby guys are aware of it at all.

Shlomi Yaakobovich, CIFS Architect - R&D Core Technologies
www.exanet.com