Samba 3.2.0-pre3 packages in Debian - version of Samba in Debian lenny

Christian Perrier bubulle at debian.org
Mon Apr 28 11:54:26 GMT 2008

The day after Karolin announced the release of 3.2.0-pre3, the Debian
packaging team was able to upload .deb packages for it in Debian
*experimental*.

To use them, you need to already use Debian testing or unstable, then
add this to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://ftp.fr.debian.org/debian experimental main contrib non-free
(replace "fr" by your favorite mirror country code)

If you do so, it is recommended to add:

APT::Default-Release "unstable";

to /etc/apt/preferences...
(replace with "testing" if you're using testing)

You can then install the 3.2.0 packages with:
apt-get install -t experimental samba

PS: these packages should be usable for Ubuntu Hardy users (untested,
though). You might want to replace "unstable" by "hardy" in
/etc/apt/preferences, then.

News about Samba in Debian lenny

Debian lenny is due out for September 2008. From the news we currently
have, it seems wiser to stick with 3.0.28a rather than a quite
disruptive and uncertain 3.2.0.... This is currently the plan of the
packaging team for Samba in Debian (and Ubuntu).

We will do our best to offer 3.2.0 packages for lenny on the
backports.org server.

Ubuntu Hardy will have 3.0.28a and the same is likely to be true for
hardy+1 (8.10 or so).