Experience tracing talloc with valgrind?

Holger Kaelberer hkaelber at math.uni-bielefeld.de
Sat Apr 26 09:15:37 GMT 2008

simo wrote on Wed Apr 23, 2008 um 08:09:24AM:

> On Wed, 2008-04-23 at 21:16 +0930, Dan Shearer wrote:
> > >
> > > Sure, we use it all the time, no problems here. Your
> > > backtrace seems to indicate that you're using threads. I'm
> > > pretty certain that talloc and threads don't particularly
> > > like each other.
> >
> > I was just learning today about talloc not always being threadsafe.
>
> Talloc is not thread safe in the sense that you cannot share the same
> talloc context between multiple threads.

Thanks for your replies. So no particular problems when using valgrind on an
application using talloc.

I went through the used memory-contexts (mainly authreq) in my application
again and did not find any possible invalid usage between different threads
for the posted example, so I can't see that threading is the problem.

Still I don't see the meaning of the valgrind-error is. If you ever ran
into a similar error-message I'm happy to hear your experiences.

Thanks,
 Holger