Experience tracing talloc with valgrind?

Dan Shearer dan at shearer.org
Wed Apr 23 11:46:48 GMT 2008

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 01:19:57PM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 12:07:47PM +0200, Holger Kaelberer wrote:
> > Do you have any experiences/suggestions about using valgrind on talloc -- in
> > general, as well as regarding this particular case?
>
> Sure, we use it all the time, no problems here. Your
> backtrace seems to indicate that you're using threads. I'm
> pretty certain that talloc and threads don't particularly
> like each other.

I was just learning today about talloc not always being threadsafe. I
found this helpful:
http://lists.samba.org/archive/samba-technical/2006-November/050189.html

(If you're only looking for leaks and you only use talloc, then talloc
has can tell you what's going on: see talloc_enable_leak_report and
talloc_enable_leak_report_full)

--
Dan Shearer
dan at shearer.org