Timed releases, versions, etc... [was Re: Freeze proto.h?]

Michael Adam ma at sernet.de
Mon Apr 21 15:29:09 GMT 2008

Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:
> Michael Adam wrote:
> > Dan Shearer wrote:

> > post 3.2._0_, I'd say...
>
> This warrants a separate discussion of how to do time releases.
> Might as well start it now.
>
> I spoke with Karolin about this some last week and she agreed
> that a 6 month release cycle is a good starting point.

+1 from me. very good for predictability and so on.

> We also had some other ideas which I'll describe here.
>
> Here is my proposal that I'll put on the table:
>
>     Once a new release cycle is done, that version goes
>     straight to bug fix mode and the next release cycle gets
>     a new minor release number.
>
> So for example, Assume 3.2.0 is released in the next 30 days.
> The 3.2 releases are immediately in maintenance mode meaning
> we can fix all the regressions and bugs we like.  But no new
> features.  The next 6 month cycle clock starts ticking and
> that becomes v3.3.

Very good! I completely agree that this will make life for
developers and packagers/vendors much easier.

+1 on increasing minor number for every timed (6month) release

Cheers - Michael

--
Michael Adam <ma at sernet.de>  <obnox at samba.org>
phone: +49-551-370000-0, fax: +49-551-370000-9