Timed releases, versions, etc... [was Re: Freeze proto.h?]

Gerald (Jerry) Carter jerry at samba.org
Mon Apr 21 14:46:16 GMT 2008

Michael Adam wrote:
> Dan Shearer wrote:

>>> +1.  Seems like a post 3.2 change though.
>
> post 3.2._0_, I'd say...

This warrants a separate discussion of how to do time releases.
Might as well start it now.

I spoke with Karolin about this some last week and she agreed
that a 6 month release cycle is a good starting point.  We
also had some other ideas which I'll describe here.

Here is my proposal that I'll put on the table:

    Once a new release cycle is done, that version goes
    straight to bug fix mode and the next release cycle gets
    a new minor release number.

So for example, Assume 3.2.0 is released in the next 30 days.
The 3.2 releases are immediately in maintenance mode meaning
we can fix all the regressions and bugs we like.  But no new
features.  The next 6 month cycle clock starts ticking and
that becomes v3.3.  I believe this will be much appreciated
by users and vendors a like as it promotes more predictability
and prevents onerous changes that would destabilize the current
production releases.  The only reason we have not done this
in the past is lack of resources and a fears of vendors delaying
picking up new releases.  But the current system probably
makes it too confusing to know what is a "good release".

Karolin will have the job of setting dates and we have to
stick to them.

PS:  Note that the 3.x series can be infinitely extended so
there are no future conflicts with a v4.0 release.

cheers, jerry