[linux-cifs-client] Re: New Proxy Unix CAP

Sam Liddicott sam at liddicott.com
Mon Apr 21 09:22:45 GMT 2008

* simo wrote, On 20/04/08 15:52:
> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 04:44 +0200, Sam Liddicott wrote:
>

>> The conclusion was that ntioctl was the cleanest way to provide that
>> channel (allowing windows server based implementations through
>> pluggable ioctl handlers), and all that remained was to find a way to
>> advertise the capability.
>>
>> A conversation at SambaXP with Metze, Steve, Tridge concluded that the
>> new "who am I" and the "extattr" operations set a good precedent for
>> using the unix capabilities bit and a new info level in the unix
>> capabilities to advertise the proxy capabilities (I think I got that
>> mostly right). (And a different advertisment method would be needed
>> for a windows implementation but Tridge knew what that was, I forget).
>>

> I see a contradiction between these two paragraphs. If you want to make
> this stuff available on windows (ioctl handlers and such), then using
> the unix extensions (not supported on windows) to advertise the
> capability is not going to help on windows.

Sure, Tridge mentioned some windows plugable-something-or-other-handler
that would be used to advertise the capability when hosted by a windows
server.

I'm confident that he will be able to recall it or that another equally
useful mechanism could be devised if/when a windows implementation arrives.

Sam