[linux-cifs-client] Re: New Proxy Unix CAP

simo idra at samba.org
Sun Apr 20 13:52:31 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 04:44 +0200, Sam Liddicott wrote:

> The conclusion was that ntioctl was the cleanest way to provide that
> channel (allowing windows server based implementations through
> pluggable ioctl handlers), and all that remained was to find a way to
> advertise the capability.
>
> A conversation at SambaXP with Metze, Steve, Tridge concluded that the
> new "who am I" and the "extattr" operations set a good precedent for
> using the unix capabilities bit and a new info level in the unix
> capabilities to advertise the proxy capabilities (I think I got that
> mostly right). (And a different advertisment method would be needed
> for a windows implementation but Tridge knew what that was, I forget).

I see a contradiction between these two paragraphs. If you want to make
this stuff available on windows (ioctl handlers and such), then using
the unix extensions (not supported on windows) to advertise the
capability is not going to help on windows.

Simo.

--
Simo Sorce
Senior Software Engineer at Red Hat Inc. <ssorce at redhat.com>