Freeze proto.h?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Apr 20 06:50:44 GMT 2008

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 21:38 -0700, Jeremy Allison wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 12:26:16AM +0200, Volker Lendecke wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > During some dinner at SambaXP we discussed an old proposal
> > again: Check in proto.h into v3-2-test as it is right now
> > and remove the code for "make proto".
> >
> > It will be painful for a while, but I think it is worth it.
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> +1. I can live with this.

Not that this is my turf, but as I (and most of the list) was not at the
dinner, any chance you can fill me in on what the proposed value for
this change is?

I'm assuming this is meant to be some barrier to updating APIs?

I note that in Samba4, we seem to be moving down the line that
externally visible (for some definition of that) APIs are mostly
hand-maintained, while internal APIs are prototyped.