Advice on Samba Failover Solutions

William Marshall bmarsh at us.ibm.com
Fri Apr 18 16:47:08 GMT 2008

Paul Bowen wrote on 04/17/2008 12:57:38 PM:

> Is there some mechanism, maybe involving listing samba servers in a nis
> automount map, to get the users to seemless fall over to the next samba
> server
> In the advent their local samba servers goes down or unplugged

Assuming you have Windows clients (and you did say logon scripts) I'd try
doing your failover w/ dfs links. (The doc below says) The client will try
the 1st link and if it is down, try the 2nd link.

See page 11 of http://docs.hp.com/en/6485/ConfigtroubDFS.pdf

I quickly skimmed it and it looks good. I found the doc by searching for "
ms dfs redundant links"

You can't do what you want w/ netbois aliases. Netbios server names have
to be unique. You could do what you propose w/ a DNS round-robin, but you
don't have the ability to direct the clients to a primary server and then
fail to another, you'd just connect to one box or the other.

-Bill