Samba caseinsensitive lookup benchmark

Jeremy Allison jra at samba.org
Fri Apr 11 21:45:53 GMT 2008

On Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 02:45:15PM -0700, James Peach wrote:

> I'm talking about the benchmark patch, not the case-insensitive filesystem
> fix. The latter is already review and released. If you want it, I can merge
> it any time.

Ok, thanks. Yes I'd like you to merge it for 3.2, but only after
we've agreed on the change.

> They are different things. fs_capabilities tells you the semantics that the
> filesystem is providing to Samba. The (conn)->case_sensitive flag tells you
> the semantics that the Samba is providing to the SMB client. I'm not sure
> wether this was the original intent of the latter flag, but that seems to
> be is implementation.

I know they're different things, and are set in different places.
I'm not objecting to fs_capabilities being added to the connection
struct, indeed it is a useful addition. What I mean is everywhere
we currently change behavior depending on case insensitivity we
should be checking both the fs_capabilities flags and the case_sensitive
bool and should be doing the same thing for both. The *behavior*
should be identical. That's what I meant with my macro below.

>> FS_IS_CASE_INSENSITIVE(conn) (((conn)->fs_capabilities &
>> FILE_CASE_SENSITIVE_SEARCH) || (!(conn)->case_sensitive))
>
> Yeh, that looks reasonable.

Thanks. Any chance you can update the patch including it
for review ?

Jeremy.