IPv6 mount.cifs name resolution patch

David Holder david.holder at erion.co.uk
Tue Apr 8 14:18:25 GMT 2008

Steve,

Hi! Please find attached a patch for the Samba 3.2 mount.cifs.c version
1.11.

This adds IPv6 support to name resolution in UNC names so that you no
longer have to use the ip option when specifying an IPv6 address.

It has the following shortcomings that are the same as for the unpatched
IPv4 version:
- It only tries the first IP address it finds rather than trying each
one until it succeeds
- It does not support link-local addresses as this is not yet supported
in the CIFS VFS module

I have deliberately not used inet_ptoa(). Instead, I have used
getnameinfo(). This makes the new code protocol independent.

Regards,
David

P.S. Thanks to Andreas Schnieder for answering a C coding question.
Dr David Holder CEng FIET MIEEE

Erion Ltd, Oakleigh, Upper Sutherland Road, Halifax, HX3 8NT

Reception: +44 (0)1422 207000

Direct Dial: +44 (0)131 2026317

Cell: +44 (0) 7768 456831

Registered in England and Wales. Registered Number 3521142
VAT Number: GB 698 3633 78