Side effect of recent change to more secure defaults like "lanman auth = No" intentionally?

Günter Kukkukk samba at kukkukk.com
Wed Apr 2 01:38:45 GMT 2008

Am Dienstag, 1. April 2008 schrieb Frank KInscherff:

Hi Frank,

> HI Guenter:
>
> although this little change of of "lanman auth = no" to obey to the
> security panic overall, I was spending ages to get my environment
> running after I did an upgrade test from ubuntu server 7.10 to 8.04. On
> 7.10 all my backup data and much more goes on a Network device (low
> cost) which I only can access through samba, After the upgrade this
> important drive was gone and started me to panic as one of my hard
> drives began to report errors which indicated dying of this device w/
> still same useful data on one partition.

You say "...goes on a Network device (low cost) which I only
can access through samba."
I guess, you mean that you access that NAS by mounting it using
the kernel modules smbfs or cifs - or you use "some samba client
(library) based program" (?)

In case you mount, are those mounts placed into /etc/fstab or do
you use other scripts to mount them?

The smbfs userland helper smbmount and other samba client tools parse
your local smb.conf.
So the entry "client lanman auth = Yes or No" can affect
the possibility to access the NAS.
But _only_ when the NAS needs the "lanman auth" processing,
which would be the case when the NAS is negociating a somewhat
anchient smb protocol dialect.

So, how do you do your backup and your other file storage onto
that NAS?

Cheers, Günter