Google Summer of Code

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Apr 1 03:00:51 GMT 2008

On Sun, 2008-03-30 at 12:23 +0200, hotte.schibullek at web.de wrote:
> [...]

What makes you say 'again'.  The wheel is already well re-invented :-)

>  with ldb or consequently move to a standard-ldap-DS and
> focus the work an some missing features/extensions (e.g. memberof-overlay
> in openldap) to implement the missing ADS-features.

While we know this is possible (XAD proves it is), the LDAP backend
question is far more complex than just a few features and extensions.
Even getting to the state where Samba4 provides only some munging and
mapping as a proxy to OpenLDAP has taken 2 years of my time.

> > > Another similar project might be to implement windows 2008 'read only
> > > DC' functionality in Samba4.  This might be 'safer' than the two-way
> > > replication, but includes a lot of links that we would need to implement
> > > to pass off all secrets handling (including RPCs for verifying NTP
> > > packets, passwords etc).
>
> One-way Replication -the normal (delta-)syncrepl-mode in Openldap-
> has already everything needed für the 'super-new' w2k8-"feature"
> (seems the redmonder guys have at last unterstood the x.500-principles
> and advantages of a single rw-master)

No, they just needed a mode suitable for installation into local
untrusted branch offices, where the local staff should not have access
to the passwords of the entire enterprise.

> another point is, that the DS on the linux/unix-side should be painless usable
> and extendable for other opensource-standard-applications.

This remains the fundamental challenge.

> as howard mentioned before, it might be not the best way
> to create a completely new DS application with unknown security
> holes, only to follow all the steps of the redmonder guys.
>
> samba4 serves now all xp clients, and xp clients will be the biggest
> part of all win-networks for the next 4-5 years, maybe longer.
> openldap or FDS can do nearly all of the replication work in a stable way
> either one-way or multi-master.
> so this should be the direction, not drsuapi

Can we work with the assumption that all users of Samba4 want to start
from scratch?

No large organisation moves quickly, even to something as good as
Samba4.  Having modes of operation (DRSUAPI repliation) that allow a
partial transition will be critical.

The read only DC mode could allow us to join an AD domain, secure in the
knowledge that we can't screw it up to badly :-)

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.