samr open and close on different TCP connections

James Peach jpeach at samba.org
Mon Sep 24 21:04:33 GMT 2007

On Sep 24, 2007, at 2:00 PM, Volker Lendecke wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 24, 2007 at 11:16:41AM -0700, James Peach wrote:
>>> I have one Samba PDC install which triggers this behaviour every
>>> time. A different, but ostensibly identical install doesn't trigger
>>> it.
>>>
>>> I've got a packet trace if there's somewhere useful I can post it.
>>
>> attached
>
> 99.9% this is just an smbd crashing between packet 301 and
> 303.

Hmm, now that I check a different log, you are right.

> Vista should not do the close on a different
> connection, that's very likely a Vista bug not doing the
> right error handling, but I would much rather expect some
> panics in the smbd logs.

 From the packet trace it looks like Vista is requesting a new
association group on the 2nd bind (assoc_group_id == 0), but we reply
with a fixed assoc_group_id of 0x000053f0.

 From api_pipe_bind_req(), it looks like we will either lie and tell
the client we bound it to the association group it wanted, or we give
it association group 0x000053f0. Maybe there is some new code in Vista
that is pleasantly surprised to find itself in the same association
group as a previous connection.

James Peach | jpeach at samba.org