samr open and close on different TCP connections

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Sep 21 23:18:43 GMT 2007

On Fri, 2007-09-21 at 12:18 -0700, James Peach wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a packet trace where Vista (with all updates, running inside
> VMWare), appears to do a SamrConnect5 on one TCP connection, and then
> closes the returned handle with a SamrCloseHandle on a different TCP
> connection. Samba (3.0.25b + patches) doesn't like the close,
> presumably because the handle was created in a different process.
>
> Is this a legitimate Vista behaviour, or is there something incredibly
> screwy with by setup?

We hope they don't start doing any more of this, or we end up having to
linearise a lot of state between connections, and trust/verify that
nobody can spoof policy handles.

Metze saw this behaviour on ncacn_ip_tcp, as part of the DRSUAPI stuff.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.