SMB bulk add utility

Scott Isaacson sisaacson at novell.com
Tue Sep 18 17:18:47 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-18 at 10:36 +0400, Peter Njiiri wrote:
> Thanks for the feedback Andrew and Christopher, the issue I'm facing is that when I use
> the smbbulkadd utility to add users without the -p (password) option,
> the error message that comes up states that a password needs to be set
> or a Universal policy cannot be found (whereas I'm using the Samba Default policy).
> I want to bulk enable all users without giving them "new" passwords
> (with the -p option) so that they can use eDirectory to
> authenticate (as they use the Novell ZENworks client,somewhat like the
> Novell Client to login to Windows).

Peter what you want to do is possible only if the Universal Password
(UP) has already been set or will be set via some other way using some
other tool.  As mentioned by others earlier, if UP is set it is
retrievable in cleartext and and be used for samba authentication (with
the "NDS LDAP backend passdb" without setting the hashes, however the UP
must be set.  The NDS LDAP passdb backend does not work of of the older,
encrypted password that is unique to NCP.  Novell moved to UP serveral
years ago so that any protocol accessing the server could work off of  a
single password value rather than having a password per access protocol
(hence the name Universal Password).

It sounds like what you are doing is trying to use smbblkadd to enable a
bunch of users in batch mode, but unless you specify the new password
with the -p option, the UP must already be set or you must set it some
other way in order to use the new samba server.

> There is currently a Samba server
> the users will be shifting to and they need seamless migration
> (without new passwords being set on the new Samba server). Is this possible??

If UP is already set, this is possible.  If you are running those users
off of the older NDS specific password and UP is not already set then
this is not possible.

Scott