SWAT in Samba4

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Tue Sep 11 13:31:21 GMT 2007

On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 08:23 -0500, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > Samba4 continues to have SWAT, being the version from
> > before TP3.  This version is simple, and primarily serves to
> > show the install and provision panes.  I expect to do some more
> > cleanup of SWAT before the next alpha - possibly even adding
> > some tests to ensure we don't break it.
> >
> > If there is sufficient interest in AJAX style programming and
> > maintenance in future, then the alpha1 code can be revived.
> >
> > I hope to have a configuration file for phpldapadmin
> > generated by the provision script, and work to have this
> > editor work well as a primary LDB editor for Samba4 into
> > the future.
>
> For what it's worth, IMO SWAT is a waste of your effort.  Your
> energy would be better spent on DC functionality.  Your decision
> though.

That's why I'm trying to cut it back, so I don't waste valuable
pre-release cycles fixing bugs in it.  It is the only component that
consistently had bugs in it before most of the TP releases.  It is also
the only component without any testsuite.  I don't see this as a
coincidence.

The other option is to, as you suggest, remove it completely.

I do very much appreciate your views on this.

http://samba.org/~abartlet/
Samba Developer, Red Hat Inc.