[SAMBA4] Making system ldb usable by Samba 4

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Sep 11 08:52:40 GMT 2007

Hi Simo,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 08:21:26PM -0400, simo wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 01:35 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> >  * MODULESDIR is hard-coded in ldb
> This is easy as you said, let's start with this. If you have patches
> just commit them and I'll review.
Ok.

> >  * LDIF handlers that are being registered by samba/ldif_handlers.c
> This is though, I think we need a handlers plugin system, and in general
> I don't like loading all plugins if they are not going to be used.
> Let's try with the simple approach that solves the contigent problem
> first, but let's keep in mind in the end we should load only the plugins
> we are going to use.
Ok, makes sense, I'll see if I can get that going.

> >  * some Samba-specific popt options are used
> I think we should indeed decouple libldb and libpopt.
> I think the easiest way is to put all options in the context with
> get/set functions to access them and then let the apps handle how to
> pass options.
That's quite a lot of work. The problem is that the popt_common is
quite complex because it has to handle things like loading smb.conf.
So I'd rather avoid getters/setters if we can right from the start.
Maybe we can just keep two separate module types for now: ldb and
ldb-popt modules?

Cheers,

Jelmer

--