[SAMBA4] Making system ldb usable by Samba 4

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Tue Sep 11 00:05:11 GMT 2007

Am Dienstag, den 11.09.2007, 09:45 +1000 schrieb Andrew Bartlett:
> On Tue, 2007-09-11 at 01:35 +0200, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > Continuing our quest to eliminate the differences between standalone and
> > samba4-included ldb...
>
> > We would also not want libldb to link against libpopt, so registering
> > the extra options should only be done when inside the command-line
> > utility.
> Why not?  How many systems are going to install a libldb, but could not
> have popt?
ldb is a database library, why should it link against a command-line
utility library it doesn't even use? That's a bit of a principle
objection, somewhat more practical:

The registered options are only usable to those users of libldb that are
actually using libpopt themselve so I don't think apps (or libraries)
that don't use popt should get the overhead of both popt and the loading
of those popt-specific modules.

Popt itself may not be large, but the popt-specific ldb modules can very
well be. For example, a KDE application that would be using ldb would
load all the libraries that the popt/samba.so module links against
(which includes a significant part of Samba).

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org