Talloc and Tdb spin offs

tridge at samba.org tridge at samba.org
Mon Sep 10 01:17:55 GMT 2007

Simo,

In some ways they already are spun off. talloc is being used by a
number of external projects, it just needs more promotion and better
packaging.

I also think that the the biggest thing that would help with wider
talloc adoption would be to integrate it with a malloc compatible
library, so that code that calls malloc/free could be mingled with
code that uses talloc without error (so you can use any malloc pointer
as a talloc pointer, and can use free() a talloc pointer). Combined
with this we need a lower per-allocation overhead. Currently its 32
bytes, which is too large for some projects. That would allow a
project to start using talloc without a major reorganisation of their
existing code, and would make it much easier to use in code that uses
a lot of existing external libraries.

Rusty and I have discussed some ways of doing this, and we think we
can get the average overhead down a lot, while making it malloc
compatible, by adopting some of the ideas from
http://samba.org/~tridge/junkcode/alloc_mmap/ and integrating them
into talloc.

Meanwhile, packaging talloc and pushing it into the distros would be
very worthwhile. Any volunteers to do that? Jelmer has already done it
for Debian (thanks Jelmer!). Would anyone else like to do it for RPM
based distros?

Cheers, Tridge