Where to for Samba4? - Native IPv6

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at samba.org
Sat Sep 8 20:00:33 GMT 2007

Hi David,

Am Samstag, den 08.09.2007, 20:38 +0100 schrieb davidholder at erion.co.uk:
> Great to hear from you.
>
> Going IPv6 native does not get rid of IPv4. The IPv6 API is by definition
> dual stack (strange though it may sound). What we can do is make all the
> code IPv6 or protocol independent and still support IPv4.
Just the IPv6 representation isn't sufficient because we need the IPv4
addresses. For example, NBT uses a little-endian 4 byte serialization of
IPv4 addresses. Several of the protocols don't make sense to run over
IPv6, such as NBT or WINS.

> This is what I
> meant. For example, all IPv4 addresses can be written as IPv6 addresses
> and the API will create IPv6 or IPv4 sockets as appropriate.
>
> I have run an IPv6 scanner against the Samba4 code and am compiling a list
> of changes that I think need to be made.
>
> Will you be at the Google CIFS event? If so it would be great to discuss
> this with you further.
yep, that's probably a good idea. I'll be there.

Cheers,

Jelmer

Jabber: jelmer at jabber.fsfe.org